Old October 24th 14, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

Default Also:

On 10/24/2014 10:52 AM, Dale wrote:

no, not that much of an old timer, I took punch cards around 1983, that
is what my community college had for basic ..., also took assembler and
still don't know what it is for

in 4 year school I took fortran and pascal, took a logic class and
thought that would help

at work I learned sas and matlab, c and OO

sas and matlab I had most programs written in a way I could edit them,
but I did write a program in matlab that calibrated a solitaire film
recorder for color negatives based on how they printed on paper, it
never really calibrated though nd I don't know if a multi-stage chemical
image process can much more than a grey card and leaving the rest to
editing (chemical or digital)

Oh my, hard to believe in 1983 they still were using punch cards.

Back in 1968 when I took my first class I was shocked even then at how
antiquated things were. There was /one/ terminal on campus but it was
reserved for the upperclassmen. No CRT...it was a teletype machine.

The only way I learned anything at all was in 1982 when I bought a
Ti-99/4 and learned BASIC.

Since I knew FORTRAN, there was nothing to it and since I got instant
feedback I learned more in a few weeks than I did in years of college.