Old November 17th 18, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts[_2_]

Default photographer-takes-adobe-to-court-for-deleting-photos-worth-250k

On 17/11/18 11:01, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Ron C
says...

Back when I was doing music stuff the recommendation wasn't just
multiple backups but also do them in different media. I'm guessing
that's valid advice for any valuable data.

Indeed. I have multiple backups of everything, on different media. How
can a pro work without backups?

I use Tresorit as they offer an auto syncing zero-knowledge-encrypted[1]
service that works on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and iOS.

It's not very expensive and I value my family snaps enough to back them up.

If I were a Pro doing paid work I would backup my raw takes to at least
one site and the final edited sub selection to 2 places.

The cheaper way is to copy to a decent make of SD card or external SSD
disk (less chance of mechanical failure) but the downside is you really
need to have a yearly regime of checking all devices are readable and an
X-yearly regime of "copy to new device" - even SSDs fail with age.

Ideally all files should have a checksum file written with them (MD5,
SHA1 or anything reasonable) and this used to verify files on an annual
basis.

[1] Zero knowledge means that the provider cannot decrypt your files and
you are safe even if their servers are stolen. Important for client
confidentiality and copyright protection.

--
Email does not work