Old July 30th 15, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

In article , Andreas Skitsnack
wrote:

Sandman:
Indeed, and I don't care whether the OP really have a "valid" need
to rename his files or not, but I am replying to you to tell you
that a modern asset manager would do all that for you.

I.e. you have the photos in an asset manager. We'll use Lightroom
as an example, but this applies to many more than that one
particularly.

When you choose photos to export and upload to the web, you can
have a export preset that sets the filename to something
pertaining to the EXIF data (like date, in your example) and also
strip EXIF data, or add a water mark, and resize the image etc
etc.

The point nospam is making is one I agree with - whether or not
that point is relevant to the original poster is unknown, since
there may be situations where one wants to rename a bunch of
photos without having to roundtrip them into an asset manager.

But in your examples, if the photos *were* in a modern asset
manager to begin with, the steps you have to take to achieve your
end result would be greatly reduced.

I do this *all the time*. I have several user export presets set
up. One for exporting preview images for a client from a photo
shoot, one for exporting blog images, one for exporting
originals, etc etc.

And if your photos are in an asset manager, the only thing you're
deciding is what exported image files should be named - whatever
the files are called on disk for the actual images in the asset
manager is totally irrelevant to anyone. Inside your asset
manager you can view, list and sort them with a multitude of
parameters and the file name is just something that is necessary
for file systems, but unimportant to the asset manager (and thus,
you).

What is the advantage of exporting files and assigning a different
name to them than the name of file that is retained?

Exporting files creates new files, and you get to choose what naming scheme you
prefer or need for that specific export. What the original files on disk are
named is absolutely irrelevant at that stage, but you can use "filename" in
your export as well if you for whatever reason want to use it in your export.

With an asset manager, you never have to bother with "files" other than after
having exported them. You import them directly from the camera/memory card and
you have no reason to know, or change, the actual file name on disk, since the
asset manager gives you a multitude to view, sort and find your photos that
file names can not.

Let's say you send a batch of files to a client and those files are
named on export as Sandman-001 to Sandman-020. The client contacts
you saying he wants to use Sandman-014 for the project.

But, those files are on your computer with the original name. How
do you know which is Sandman-014? If two files are essentially
identical but have a very minor difference, wouldn't it be easier to
know which was wanted if the original file name was used on export?

Well, there's a workflow difference here. I rarely send a group of files to a
client. I create a web gallery from Lightroom (or other app) that displays low-
res versions for picking a photo. Here's one example:

http://jonaseklundh.se/files/jessicaforsberg/index.html

And if you click any photo, you will get a larger preview, and also the
original filename. So the client can then pick one for enlargement (she picked
"DSC_3939") and that lets me know which one it is.

In your example, should I send a group of photos to a client, I would keep the
exported files on my computer as well (in fact, I would probably upload them to
my server, but still) so when she picks one that is differently named than the
original filename, it's not a problem for me to figure out which photo that is.

I don't understand the point of renaming the files on export.

Well, so don't? The OP wanted to batch rename photos, and I was merely telling
"Anonymous" about how his examples would be easier when using an asset manager.

Just to be clear...I'm not finding fault with the practice. I just
don't understand the benefit.

Well, it depends on what you're going to do with them. If you're sending them
in to a photo contest, you may want to include your name or signature in the
file names so when mixed with others, they sort under your name, and perhaps
add the name of the context ("sandman_wildflowers-003.jpg etc etc), if you're
making a collection of photos for download, like this one:

http://jonaseklundh.deviantart.com/art/Hardwood-floor-texture-484476983

It would probably look neater if the files are named in an easy-to-read fashion
rather than "DSC-XXXX"

--
Sandman