Old May 7th 18, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default No Nikonos But...

On 5/6/2018 6:09 PM, -hh wrote:
PeterN wrote:
Yes. You can easily change the lens, or port. (Before the dive, of course.)

As the joke goes, you can change it **once** during the dive, but most of the
pics won’t be good afterwards...

...but seriously, there are some systems which use “wet” lens adapters which
can be taken on/off underwater, usually taking a mid-focal to a wide, or to a macro.
Because they’re “clip on”, their optical alignment isn’t as good, so their optical
performance is never going to be as good. I have one of these with a “pre-GoPro”
housed JVC compact video system to shoot (normal without) wide.

When I did UW, i used W/A, Normal, and Macro.

I had a 15mm, 28mm, 35mm .. plus a Close-Up Kit and macro tubes for my Nikonos,
but currently shoot a 10-22 with an 8” dome and Canon7D (so 16mm-35mm equivalent),
and a 60mm macro (same 1.6x crop body) with a flat port, which would be IIRC, ~150mm.

Overall, not having the old Nikonos “goal posts” is an interesting trade-off: a little harder in
some ways (auto focus quibbles when dark, housed dSLR is huge when getting close, etc),
biut more flexible because it isn’t only just the goalpost’s fixed focus distance.

Things have changed a bit. Wish I could safely dive. But, with a
defibrillator and COPD, it would not be a smart thing to do.

--
PeterN