Old July 9th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jer

Default Need camera to photograph white boards and electronic circuits

raymond wrote:
I need to procure a digital camera to use for our work, the main
subjects will be white boards photographed after technical meetings
and a suite of electronics that we are developing. We essentially
want to keep a photo journal (web-based). The downside of our
attempts with low-end digital cameras has been the reflection from the
flash; I need to use the flash to keep the shutterspeed minimal for a
steady image and my only solution thus far has been to angle the
camera shots.

It seems like this issue is solved in some high end (Leica) cameras
which have a "bounce flash", it's also solved by unweildy external
flash units, neither seems to me the right purchase. Can you
recommend a better solution, in a price range that will not aggravate
company financial folks?

Back in the day, I've used a little Canon A95 (5Mp) for exactly the same
reasons you've stated here. I used a cheap table-top tripod for both
venues without flash, and obtained better then expected and perfectly
acceptable results. The company web server had plenty of available disk
space, so I didn't resize the images at all, letting the viewer
determine their own preferences for their browser, or downloading the
images as necessary.

For the circuit boards, I laid them edgewise on the chalk tray of the
whiteboard, moved a table close enough for success.

Eventually, I advanced to photographing the step-by-step assembly
process for a variety of products, producing a visual example of what
fits into what and where stuff goes, sometimes overlaying arrows on the
image proved helpful. Paste it all up in a e-presentation, post on the
company web, and save a bunch of people the aggravation of figuring
stuff out on their own.

After I retired, the little A95 & tripod was left behind with my
successor, and lives on today saving budgets everywhere.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'