Old September 19th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Do you feel Lucky?

John J wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

I went back to Home Center and found the only 4 rolls of Lucky film they
had. They are the ISO 200 color film. More importantly they have the name
and phone number of the importer on them. I'll try to call them next week
and see if they import black and white film.

Good gosh, Geoffrey. Can't one of us send you film? Is there a horrible
tax or something?

Thanks, it would be appreicated but difficult. About a year and half ago,
all of the post offices in the world got together and raised their rates.
What they did is went from slightly more than their cost, for example,
$6 for up to 4 pounds airmail, to 1/2 of what the courier services charge.

So the per pound rate seems cheap as it's $35 for up to 12 pounds,
but no one sends 12 pounds. If you send 4 pounds, it's still $35.

Add into that a customs clearing fee ($10) now tacked unto packages,
and the chance it will be x-rayed, or gamma ray scanned in a shipping
container, it's not a good bet.

Just about the only thing that would work is to have it brought back by
someon in their carry on luggage, as no one knows if they x-ray or gamma
scan checked luggage.

I'm not really in that bad a shape, although the non digital department
of most camera stores is a handfull of rolls of c-41 film, there is a
good chance that the new Ektar film will at least make it to one store
here and I can telephone order it.

It's the wierd stuff like Lucky film where I have to call the importer and
ask if they brought any in, because there is no way I can buy enough
to make it worthwhile for them to get it for me.

There is also the problem of paying for it. I don't have pay-pal, and
international money orders were replaced with Western Union money transfer
which the minimum fee is $35.

If anyone happens to be coming here in the next few months and wants to
bring a few rolls of film, I'd gladly pay them for it. :-)

On the other hand, although it's pricey, there is no lack of digital
cameras, memory cards, inkjet paper and so on. It's often that way in
life, what you don't want is always in good supply.

Thanks,

Geoff.