Old February 22nd 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Basic question about contrast and gamma

On 2/21/2008 3:33 PM Monica Schulz spake thus:

I'm just begining to dive into the photographic process, so my
practical experience is still scarse. - I try to figure out the basics
in a theoretical way first.

[snip theoretical worrying]

If I might be so bold, it seems to me that if you're just starting out
(at least in b&w photography, let's say), you're waaaay overthinking
this one. Unless you absolutely need to feel comfortable with the
theoretical basis of making negatives and prints, it would be far better
to just go out and start shooting, assuming you have all the stuff you
need. Shoot a bunch of rolls of film. Make contact sheets. Make some
prints. Put them up and look at them.

In other words, make mistakes. The more mistakes you make, the better
(because you'll learn something from each one in a way that no
theoretical discussion can match).

What's that old saying? "My first 10,000 prints were garbage"?