Old June 13th 18, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default What exactly is different inside a lens in Macro mode?

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Most inexpensive P&S cameras don't have high quality sensors or glass.
Again, do your research, as you will find that some P&S cameras will
give you what you want.

that part is true, but someone buying a p&s is more concerned with
convenience than quality. in other words, it's 'good enough'.

Probability true for many, if not most people. I have seen some superb
macro work from some P&S shooters. Admittedly, that is the exception.

not really, assuming they're trying.

if they're just snapping without knowing what they're doing, then
anything good will be the exception, macro or otherwise.

For macro work, the smaller sensor size will give a grater DOF than a
FF.

myth.

dof is the same for the same image quality.

But, you must know what you are doing.

as with everything.

I have also seen some superb macro work where the photographer used an
iPhone 8; 8+; or X. Of course he uses a high quality clip on lens.
BTW if you want to experiment with using a water drop on an iPhone lens,
try a drop of glycerin instead. It is much less likely to damage your
phone, and does not evaporate as quickly. Of course, nobody with any
knowledge of optics would consider that technique for a realistic and
predicable result. For artistic purposes, it might give you an
interesting image. I have never tried it, but might with someone else's
phone. And then, only with their informed consent of the risk.

get a burner phone.

it can even have a bad esn if all you're going to do is take photos
with it.