Old June 9th 18, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default What exactly is different inside a lens in Macro mode?

On 6/9/2018 3:30 AM, newshound wrote:
On 09/06/2018 06:48, David Taylor wrote:
On 08/06/2018 12:09, Sammy wrote:
What exactly is different about a lens in Macro mode?Â* Does the lens
alter
its optics in some way to focus more closely?

My Galaxy S7 lens doesn't seem to have enough space inside to shift any
elements in a different way.Â* Although my point and shoot has a lens
which
comes forward and is made of 6 elements in 5 groups.Â* How do these
cameras
provide Macro mode?

If a camera can provide close up macro focusing then why isn't it
provided
as part of Normal mode?

In some cases, it's because it would slow down focussing if the
software had to search from a very close macro out to infinity each
time to determine the best focus point.Â* In other cases - e.g. a macro
lens for a interchangeable lens camera - the lens may be designed to
work best when focussing close (have fewer imperfections), and of
course it has that closer focussing range.

Agreed, also reduces the risk of the camera trying to focus on something
between the lens and subject, like wire fencing, window glass, or even
raindrops on the front element. I don't know whether my canon compacts
also shift an internal element in macro mode, but they certainly do a
remarkably good job.

That is only part of the reason my 80-400 can be easily set not not
focus closer than 6m, and my 70-200 can be set not to focus closer than
2.5m..

--
PeterN