Old February 24th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Sony A200 menu lockup

Calvin wrote:
My new A200 has beaten me! I'm really not that stupid when it comes
to technology (honest!) but I've managed to get my A200 into a mode
where it will only display the "info screen" on its backpanel and
simply won't respond to any of the display related buttons. Strangely
the "picture taking" types of buttons mostly work, like it will
respond to the mode dial and focus and pop up its flash although it
won't actually take a picture. Nothing else responds at all, none of
the menu or function buttons and it won't display previously taken
pictures.
I've tried taking the battery out for a while and reinserting the CF
card but its stubborn.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? Had it happen to you and
know what to do? Know of a master reset sequence other than the one
in the manual which requires the menu to be working to get to it?

Is this model a lemon (I can't find anyone else complaining about
these symptoms on the internet) or is it possible my particular one
has a one-off problem (hard to imagine as this doesn't feel like a
build issue) or am I simply too stupid to spot the obvious (it is late
after all!).

no idea, but add:

-Not sure what you mean by "info screen" but if it's the screen that
displays firmware version, then try depressing the menu and disp keys at
the same time.

-make sure the remote release contacts are not shorted.

-Leave battery out overnight (charge it up in the meantime)

-remove the lens and power on the camera. Cycle the shutter if possible.

-exercise the buttons to the left of the display a lot with the power
off - one may be latched up

-change CF cards

-reformat the CF card on a PC.

and... Call Sony.