Old October 25th 05, 12:53 AM
Hunt

Default what computer specs for making larger prints from scanned 4x5 slides

In article , says...

recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

While one can get by with less, both HDDs and RAM are cheap. If you are
buying/building a new machine, and larger graphics files are your desire, I'd
suggest min. 2GB RAM, and I'd also urge you to get as much HDD real estate as
you can. If you use PS (CS or greater) it will use ALL HDD space that you can
spare. Ideally, keep your OS (and any OS's virtual memory) and your programs
on one HDD, set another for your image files, then as many as you can muster,
as large, and as fast as you can get, for your Scratch Disks.

I often work on much larger files on an old P-III (1GHz) dual processor, 1.5GB
RAM and several 36GB SCSI (non-RAID) HDDs, so it can be done, but I'd urge you
to get as much as you can. Besides, you will probably pay 1/2 what I did 5
years ago, and get 10x as much! G

Hunt