Old October 25th 05, 12:19 AM
Malcolm Stewart

Default what computer specs for making larger prints from scanned 4x5 slides

"Ed Margiewicz" wrote in message
recently purchased an epson 4900 scanner for some of my 4x5 and 6x6
slides. My old dell computer (about 5 years old) freezes up with file

sizes
over 600k. If I would like to make large prints (30 or 40 or bigger) from
scanned slides what would I need or look for in a new computer to handle
such large file sizes. I am guessing file sizes up to 500mb. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated.

Ed M
www.traquilimages.com

I ran into the printing problem before I upgraded from a 4GB to a large C:
drive, with decent free space. It's currently 40GB and there's about 7GB
spare; with data stored on an 80GB.
RAM is 512MB which was fine until I scanned some of 4x5s last week creating
100MB files. PS now crawls and the graphics are tiled, so I'm guessing that
I need to upgrade RAM tp at least 1GB.

I'm sure people using their gear professionally will advise even more
capacity.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK