Old July 12th 15, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

On 2015-07-12 20:24:21 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:47:44 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-07-12 17:02:51 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

do you have it set to copy that 'backup' to a different drive not in
the computer?

Remember, that is only the LR backup catalog, for adjustments, edits,
and metadata, not an image file backup.

I don't pretend to be a LR expert, but - really - that's pretty basic
knowledge. Even I knew that when I first started with LR.

Good! Some folks new to LR have been under the misunderstanding that it
was a full backup which in some miraculous way included image files,
regardless of the dead give away in the lrcat file size.

I don't work in the Develop module as much as you do, but I process
most images, most of the way, in LR now. There are times I'll create
a Virtual Copy and edit that in Photoshop, but most of my post is now
done in LR. I have a few Pre-sets used in Import for things like my
baseball shots, and I have some other custom Pre-sets I use.

That is a practical way to use LR.

You'll laugh at this, but last week I even went over to a person's
house and taught the person the basics of LR. He had recently added
LR, added a bunch of images, and then made some changes in file names
and locations in the C: originals and couldn't figure out why LR
couldn't find the images.

Yup! You have to let LR know what you are doing with renaming and
moving. It is always best to that shuffling within LR, not the computed
file management.

leaving you vulnerable for as much as 23 hours.

...but there is still a backup of originals which is more than many
folks ever do.

That 23 hour window is really not a concern of mine as I explained in
another post. As a low-volume hobbyist, I don't generally upload
enough images in a day to be concerned about losing a few. It's not
like I'm a wedding photographer and would face disaster if a file was
lost.

Your backup protocol is yours. I have mine, and nospam dictates his
idealistic vision to the World. If I were a pro I would certainly have
a more rigid and frequent backup plan, but I am not so my backups and
archiving is complete and a little less obsessive.

Also, while not a rule, my practice is usually to upload a good image
to SmugMug or Dropbox the same day as I upload from the card.

So far, I've never lost an image for any reason.

I always have an archive copy buried somewhere.

Savageduck