Old November 30th 13, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Default converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Also be aware that with Linux if you become proficient at writing
shell scripts there is just no end of ways to improve productivity.
The ImageMagick tools are fabulous for editing. And there are
many ways a shell script can speed up your workflow. For example,
I preview my images, as JPEGs, with a very customized version of XV which can
sort them into various directories. The JPEG images I don't want to convert
with UFRAW go into one special directory, and then a shell script moves
the RAW files to the same directories where the JPEG is now at. Then
I run UFRAW and it never loads a file I don't want to process. Plus
when I want to run the batch on all of them, I use a script that does
odd things like automatically setting wavelet noise reduction depending
on the ISO it was shot at, and it determines how many CPU cores are available
and proceeds to keep each CPU busy with a different process (which with
as many as 12 cores can make a huge difference in how fast a few hundred
RAW files can be converted to TIFF files).

if that isn't proof that linux users do things in the most difficult
and most convoluted way possible, i don't know what is.

Difficult? Perhaps for you. But it allows a faster and more
effective workflow. Even if you don't understand why.

Every time I need some complex task done repeatedly, and
especially if the intervals between occasions when it is done
are long enough that I am not likely to remember exactly how to
get it perfect... I write a script.

One example might give you an idea. A few years ago I developed
a "menu flyer" for a local restaurant. Today there are a number
other things, mostly signs and an annual calendar, that get
printed using the same logos and so on, but the main product is
still the menu. There is the flyer, there is a webpage (check out
the menu at http://samandlees.com), a 12 page spiral bound table
menu and a 12 page folder menu. Try doing that with a Windows
system and make it so that changing the price or description of
a "Sam & Lee's Burger" requires editing just one file and then
typing "make" to update every version. Oh, and you can't use
a "cookie cutter" software package template either, because when
the owner tells you they want a specific change to the format it
is never a menu choice and it also isn't optional!

Between the Tex typesetting code, bash shell scripts and
Makefiles, it's now right at 10,000 lines of code.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)