Old June 26th 15, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default The insatiable greed everywhere is stifling creativity and opportunity

"Mort" wrote in message
PeterN wrote:
On 6/24/2015 12:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

I suspect that this proposed new rule will not survive the vote.
...but I have been known to be wrong from time to time.

As have many cops, I am happy to report that last night a Village
Court
Justice ruled that the cop who gave me a parking ticket was wrong. (I
admit it was not a hard case to win.) The ticket was for parking over
line. The line was covered with snow and was not visible.

I had 2 worse ticket situations.

While driving with my ill and blind wife in Manhattan, I came to a
full stop at the roadside when I saw and heard an approaching hook and
ladder fire truck. While I was fully stopped in a safe place, in
broad daylight, the fire truck cut the corner too,tightly,and the
swinging rear part ripped off my car's front bumper and headlights
with a horrendous noise scaring the pants off me and my sightless
wife. The fire truck stopped,and a fireman came over and gave ME a
summons. I asked why, and he replied that he had city-wide orders that
if any N.Y.C. vehicle was in an accident, to automatically give the
other driver a summons!!!. After a period of 3 months, I received a
notice from a judge in Brooklyn that thee case was dismissed.

After visiting family in Ventura, CA, I returned home to N.Y. State,
and soon received a printout summons for $225.-, for (allegedly)
running a red light. It was generated by a red light camera via a
company in Arizona. It included a photo of me behind the wheel and a
photo of my license plate. Shades of Big Brother. At the top of the
printout it noted the number of minutes and seconds after the light
turned red that I passed through. The number was 00:00. When I first
wrote them, they demanded full payment by check. If the charges were
dropped, then they would return the check. I sent them the huge check.
About 4 months later, they returned the check with no apology.

N.B. They were outsmarted by their own technology. Time elapsed being
00:00 means that I did not run the red light.

Mort Linder

These red light cameras are popping up everywhere on Long Island. They
exist solely for the purpose of generating revenue, despite the claims
of government that they are used for safety reasons. There was one
situation years ago when Nassau County (one of the two counties that
make up Long Island) installed a number of red light cameras. In the
town where they were installed, there was a law that stipulated that the
town gets all the revenue, none of it would go to the county. The
county took them down. So much for safety.