Old September 10th 04, 09:19 PM
Alan Browne

Fred McKenzie wrote:

I think it's fairly easy to test the exposure speed of the camera by
taking a photo of something moving at a known speed.

Bob-

One "known speed" is a phonograph turntable. Using a piece of paper with a
radius line drawn on it, you can test a leaf shutter's speed by measuring the
angle subtended by the line in the resulting photo. (I used to use a black
paper with a thin, white sliver of paper glued on.) However, a focal-plane
shutter might produce funny results at speeds where both curtains were moving
at the same time!

Airplane photos show the moving slit with "bent" propellers, and
some golf swing shots show it too... even so, if you know rps
then you can verify the shutter speed.

Cheers,
Alan