Old March 18th 13, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald[_6_]

Default So how good is 36 megapixels?

Please you could point to a sample image? What does it look like zoomed
right in to 1:1 viewing? I wonder whether the moiré may be due to
resampling for your display?

I can easily get moire when using photoshop at other than 100% view also.
Proves nothing about the camera though.

Trevor.

I have the pictures. No, I', not so stupid as to not check for moire at
100% or 200% view. They are absolutely hilarious. Of course. I did say LCD TV. And oh yes, I did use
my cheapest lens (50 mm f/1.7, at f/4.5),
but the moire is visible with my 24-105mm f/4L zoom, just not as horrific. Pics posted tomorrow on
Dropbox, I can't do that from home.

Doug McDonald

OK, I've posted the seriously moired pictures from a Canon 7D photographing
"Cupcake Wars" on FoodTV network on an LED TV. This used a Canon 50 mm f/1.7 lens at
either f/4.5 or f/5.6, if you care, look at the EXIF. There are two scenes,
the version beginning in an underscore was "developed" from raw with Digital Photo Professional
and is full frame. The ones beginning with A are developed with Photoshop and are
cropped quite a bit. Be sure to view them blown up to at least 100% or 200%. The ones
done in Photoshop have very low sharpening done to them.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5310360/_MG_3388.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5310360/_MG_3391.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5310360/AMG_3388.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5310360/AMG_3390.jpg

Note that the distance to the screen is very critical to get the full
disastrous moire effect, as is focus. I focused using the Live View.
The camera was on a tripod.

Amazing, isn't it! These pictures are truly unusable.

YET ... I've never photographed a real scene, even with that or my even better
100mm f/2.8 Macro lens where I saw any problem at all.

People here have asked for moired pictures ... here they are!

Doug McDonald