Old October 3rd 13, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Tech Support?

On 2013-10-02 22:00:27 -0700, David Taylor
said:

On 03/10/2013 03:44, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 20:32:52 -0400, PeterN

[]
I quite understand that. Are you saying that I can connect a card reader
and two HD's to to an iPad, and download from the card, to a hard drive,
and backup HD1 to HD 2. Then look at the images on HD1 and do a rough
edit and cull with the iPad.

I don't think you can but that's largely because of the lack of
suitable software in the iPad. I expect it could be done but Apple
haven't seen fit.

Can the iPad do anything useful with an OTG cable, or is that limited
to the micro-USB connector?

iPads, iPhones, & iPods use an Apple proprietary USB to 30-pin cable
for earlier models, and an Apple USB to "Lightning" cable. This
facilitates charging when connected to a USB charger, or charging and
syncing when connected to a computer (Apple or Windows, desktop or
laptop).
It will sync apps and related data, and will permit document exchange
between iDevice and computer.
When connected, on my Mac, Lightroom sees the iDevice (iPhone or iPad)
as a camera and prompts for the download of any images on the device.
If using a Mac with iPhoto active, that will do the same (I don't use
iPhoto).

The Apple "Camera Connection Kit" for 30-pin models comes as two
pieces; a SDcard reader and a USB port. This USB port is for connecting
cameras using CF cards. Hyperdrive also makes use of this port for its
powered iPad portable hard drives. It can also be used for non-power
hungry devices.
This is the one I use.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...connection-kit

For the newer models with the "Lightning" connector the card reader and
the USB port are fixed to a cable.

Personally, I have little use for the USB-30-pin cable other than
charging and syncing on my Mac. I manage image file transfer between
iDevices and computer with the "Photo Transfer App" which uses a Wi-Fi
connection, and Dropbox.
http://phototransferapp.com/

Savageduck