Old October 3rd 13, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Tech Support?

On 10/2/2013 8:04 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 18:11:32 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 10/1/2013 10:55 PM, nospam wrote:
In article 201310011916001393-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck

On 2013-10-01 19:02:48 -0700, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Indeed, I considred using a iPad to
transfer files from my CF cards toa portable hard drive. The Apple
people told me it couldn't be done.

it's not intended to transfer files from a camera to a hard drive.

If you use the Apple "Camera Kit" it does.

not in the way you think.

What way do I think?
...or should I ask, what way do you think I think?

read what i said:
it's not intended to transfer files from a camera to a hard drive.

you then said with the cck, it can do that.

that tells me you are thinking it can operate as a typical hard drive
plugged into a laptop, both read and write.

it cannot.

the cck is designed for the most common use case, copying photos from a
camera to the ipad. that's why it's called a camera connection kit and
not a hard drive interface kit.

I use the Apple "Camera Kit" to transfer image files (JPEG only as
there is little point to load RAW files onto the iPad) from SDHC cards
used in my G11 and my D300S. For The times I shoot RAW+JPEG on my D300s
without an SDHC in the second slot, or for images captured on my
Fujifilm E900 which uses the awful, and mostly incompatible xD card, I
use the USB part of the "Camera kit" to connect the camera (D300S or
E900 via USB cable.
My iPad has no problem recognizing the files on either camera.
One note, you cannot use normal card readers which require a USB power
source, the iPad does not do that.

Now, what in way was it you think I was thinking?

what you describe is the normal task of copying photos from a card or
camera to the ipad and is fully supported. i never said otherwise.

as for hard drives, any usb hard drive would do the same thing
(assuming it's self-powered, obviously) and only if the photos were in
the same folder hierarchy as a camera's memory card (dcim folder).

the ipad sees the drive as a memory card and as with a card, it's
read-only. that is not an issue for 99% of use cases. people want to
copy photos off the cards so that they can reuse them to take more
photos, not write images back to them.

it's *extremely* rare that someone would want to copy photos to a card,
especially from a device that has a much better method of displaying
them and the connectivity to upload them to pretty much anywhere.

All of which proves, that the iPad port, does not function as a USB
port. Which is the function i need.

Sorry Peter, USB ports are only a connection. What the hardware does
with it is up to the software on each side.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB for more than you ever wanted to
know.

I quite understand that. Are you saying that I can connect a card reader
and two HD's to to an iPad, and download from the card, to a hard drive,
and backup HD1 to HD 2. Then look at the images on HD1 and do a rough
edit and cull with the iPad.

--
PeterN