Old November 9th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default How many rolls of film did you shoot in 2008?

Alan Justice wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Alan Justice wrote:

So far this year, all 36-exposure 35 mm slides:

1 Kodak E100GX
1 Fuji Velvia 100F
4 Fuji Velvia 50
8 Fuji Provia 400X
69 Fuji Velvia 100
70 Fuji Provia 100F (most pushed 1 stop)

=153

What do I win?

More scanning time.

.. 5500 images in a year ... haven't done that on film in a long time
... (actually I never got over a 100 rolls in a year..)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

The first full year (naught zero) after I quit my day job and switched to
slides I took 659 rolls. That was a learning year (lots of travel and
workshops). Then 4-500/year for 3 years, then 150/year since. Now if I do
get a digital camera soon (prolly will), then there will be another learning
year.

I never really thought much about the cost of film & developing, as it was a
necessity. But I do think about the time to edit them. So I'm not sure
I'll really have a huge increase when they're digital images. Maybe more
bracketing, just to be sure.

What have others found? When you switched to digital, did you greatly
increase the number of pictures per year?

A huge increase in number of frames shot, but also a huge
DECREASE in "keepers". For the first few months or so I was
still coming to grips with the different exposure / settings
etc. Plus I find I tend to shoot lazy with digital -
something I'm trying to work on. If I leave my digital gear
at home and take the film gear only, I'll find I come home
with far fewer photos, but probably more keepers, and an
overall better batch of photos.
Digital is superb for snapshots of places we visit, snapping
away at the kids etc - stuff that I probably wouldn't bother
taking with the film camera, but that gives a good
collection of family memories.