Old December 8th 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Andrew Reilly

Default Back on track, let's talk about cameras

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:18:34 -0600, dickr2 wrote:

So I'm still using my old 35 mm cameras, but I also carry a Fuji 6 Mpix
P&S.

One of my favorite photos is of a sunset that I took in South Carolina
in March of this year. The 8x10 photo is framed and hanging on the wall
- and I took it with the Fuji!

Pocket digital cameras often have limitations compared to DSLRs, but
quite a lot of photography doesn't happen anywhere near those limits, so
the results can be very fine. My previous/first digital camera was a
Nikon E5700, which had a nice lens, a large-ish (1/1.7inch) 5Mpix sensor
and an (electronic) viewfinder, and I took many photos that I was very
happy with with it. Indeed, it took at least a year of solid practice
and study before I was as happy with the photos that I was taking with my
newer DSLR (a D700). There's a lot more variability and effect on the
result *behind* the viewfinder than there is between that and the front
of the lens...

Cheers,

--
Andrew