Old August 20th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default LCD/TFT Screens and 4:3 viewing

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:58:15 +0100, John Lee wrote:

I am considering a new computer but monitors are causing me some
confusion. My digital images are in 4:3 proportion and I want naturally
to preserve that layout on a new LCD/TFT. But the vast majority of
monitors today are widescreen. I do not want images to be stretched.
However, the information I am getting suggests that if you have a
widescreen monitor then inevitably a 4:3 image will be artificially
stretched to fit. I am leaning towards a computer from Cougar
Computers, and I have asked the question of them. They seem to be
uncertain, but are suggest that a wide-screen monitor will stretch the
images. One option they have to offer is a Yuraku TFT MA9BBK, but
although that is not widescreen it has a 1280 x 1024 display, which also
of course not 4:3.

I am totally mystified by the whole thing. Does anyone have advice?
Thanks.

I don't understand why that is an issue. I've been using a widescreen LCD
for a year or so now - the photo editing software is intelligent enough
to maintain the proper aspect ratio.