Old August 20th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Lee

Default LCD/TFT Screens and 4:3 viewing

I am considering a new computer but monitors are causing me some confusion.
My digital images are in 4:3 proportion and I want naturally to preserve
that layout on a new LCD/TFT. But the vast majority of monitors today are
widescreen. I do not want images to be stretched. However, the information
I am getting suggests that if you have a widescreen monitor then inevitably
a 4:3 image will be artificially stretched to fit. I am leaning towards a
computer from Cougar Computers, and I have asked the question of them. They
seem to be uncertain, but are suggest that a wide-screen monitor will
stretch the images. One option they have to offer is a Yuraku TFT MA9BBK,
but although that is not widescreen it has a 1280 x 1024 display, which also
of course not 4:3.

I am totally mystified by the whole thing. Does anyone have advice? Thanks.