Old November 26th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Google phone versus $3500 Sony FF

On 26/11/2018 10:01, RichA wrote:
[]
Since the m4/3rds camera (thanks to great IBIS) can shoot about a second long exposure at f/1.7, likely it will take a better night shot than the phone.

Yes, that's my expectation as well, as I said.

DPreview compared a night-mode video camera with a Nikon D5. Problem

was, the D5 and the lens they used had no stabilization so it was
limited to 1/30th without blurring the image, at 20,000 ISO. Dual IBIS
and a 50mm lens will yield practical exposures of seconds long so unless
there is fast movement in the image, it's a better solution. Not only
that, you can drop the ISO so the image doesn't look like crap.

As I understand it, the Pixel has, effectively, post-exposure image
stabilisation, having taken a sequence of images. It does this by image
macting rather than movement compensation. That's why I said that other
cameras might be able to use the same technique.

In practice, these days, I don't even have a full-frame DLSR, and I'm
unlikely to carry around my MFT unless I'm on a photograhic expedition.
But I will have my phone, so I'm grateful for the extended facilities it
provides.

--
Cheers,
David