Old November 25th 18, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Google phone versus $3500 Sony FF

On 24/11/2018 20:55, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2018/11/24/goo...ight-shootout/

I have no idea how these really do, but look at the shot of the scene

with water and clouds. Notice the motion blur with the Sony versus the
phone?

I have one of the Pixel 3 phones, and confirm how good the low light
capability actually is. Indeed, it was the camera features which made
me choose that phone over any other - it's about three times the price
of the last phone I bought.

Effectively it is just long exposure, but done in a way that camera
shake is less important than it might otherwise be. I have no
expectation that it's anything like as good as even my MFT camera with
the f/1.7 pancake lens, but I have it woth me 24 hours a day, and that's
important!

Folks may be interested in:

https://petapixel.com/2018/11/14/goo...near-darkness/

and the details from Google:

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/ni...-on-pixel.html

No reason why some of these features might start appearing in other
cameras, of course (except patents, perhaps?).

--
Cheers,
David