Old July 27th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
PixelPix

Default GARY FONG LOVES THE 20D !

On Jul 28, 7:22 am, Tony Polson wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:
This is what I question about this particular product for outdoor use.
Like pointing the flash up and putting a business card or other
reflector on it and then using it outdoors (when that is a technique
more appropriate under a low ceiling) the Lightshere seems to be a
device that would severely reduce flash output when used outdoors for
diffusion that could be more efficiently obtained with a small softbox
like the Westcott Micro Apollo or a bounce device like one of the
Lumiquest products, or even one of the homemade devices such as the one
at this link:

http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

Those devices will reduce the efficiency of the flash as well, but at
least they aren't directing a significant portion of the flash output at
the sky, to the side and rear of the photograher.

I think you have missed the point. More flash output is not needed
here. The shot was perfectly exposed.

What we were discussing was opening up the lens to f/1.2 to improve
the rendition of the out of focus background highlights, which was
harsh at f/9 and neutral at f/3.2. Bret's new Canon 85mm lens is
justly renowned for its smooth background bokeh at f/1.2, so I asked
why not open it up?

Bret pointed out that the shutter speed was limited to 1/250 sec
because he was using flash, and that the ambient light dictated the
apertures. It had nothing whatsoever to do with flash output.

Nevertheless, thank you for posting the link to the home-made bounce
flash device. It looks interesting, but the idea is identical to that
behind a proprietary device that has had protection from international
patents for some years now.

The idea of flash diffusion is not patented, but the individual device
design is.... so I think the Larry Thong Light Bottle is safe....
however the name may be a bit of an issue. LOL ;-)