Old July 27th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Default GARY FONG LOVES THE 20D !

Annika1980 wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:30 am, Tony Polson wrote:
Given that this is an f/1.2 lens, and you had plenty of headroom in
terms of increasing shutter speeds, why not use it wide open?

One word answer: Flash.

Longer answer:
I wanted to make sure I had enough flash to light him up.
Hence, I used Tv (Shutter Speed Priority) mode at the max sync speed
of 1/250.
Yes, I could have used high-speed sync, but that gives mixed results.

This is what I question about this particular product for outdoor use.
Like pointing the flash up and putting a business card or other
reflector on it and then using it outdoors (when that is a technique
more appropriate under a low ceiling) the Lightshere seems to be a
device that would severely reduce flash output when used outdoors for
diffusion that could be more efficiently obtained with a small softbox
like the Westcott Micro Apollo or a bounce device like one of the
Lumiquest products, or even one of the homemade devices such as the one
at this link:

http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

Those devices will reduce the efficiency of the flash as well, but at
least they aren't directing a significant portion of the flash output at
the sky, to the side and rear of the photograher.

I saw a photographer a recent triathlon photographing runners with a
Gary Fong Lightsphere on her camera. The nearest reflective surface
above her was probably several thousand light years away! She had been
using the same device for pre-race "party-pic" type shots, also shot
under a cloudless sky. She must have gone through a lot of batteries.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com