Old March 8th 05, 06:03 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

Alan Browne wrote:

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

The only heavy lens I have is the 70-300 DO IS, and that can be forgiven
because its IS eliminates a tripod and it's the size of a large coffee
mug.

Are there any issues wrt the DO and the digital sensor that you've seen?
Do you shooti into the light very often?

Cheers,
Alan.

The only issue with the DO is that it doesn't have a normal blur at the
DOF edges. Rather than the blur gradually increasing in radius, you get
haze that gradually solidifies. It's sometimes attributed to an optics
problem but it will not happen completely inside or outside the DOF.

I didn't have time to compose this properly so the aperture is way too
large and there's a bit of backfocus. You can see the haze on the edge
of the ticket book.

http://www.pixelmemory.us/Photos/SF%...%202004/raw/IM
G_3219.JPG

These stage photos were taken handheld from the crowd with the 70-300 DO
IS. There's enough backlighting to cause blooming but I don't notice
any haze. (The trees are fogged by real fog.)

http://www.pixelmemory.us/Photos/SF%...e%2020%202004/