Old March 7th 05, 09:19 PM

Brian C. Baird wrote:

That seems to be the thing everyone forgets in these conversations -
that one isn't always superior and the other is junk. There are many

aspect to consider and you have to choose the combination of features

and quality you want. Certainly the 350XT will be a better choice

for
some, the D70 a better choice for others.

Very true. One size does not fit all. The biggest thing I look for is
image quality, including color accuracy and low noise levels, across
the full ISO range. This is naturally going to lead me to Canon's
offerings because no one else offers this, and I'm reluctantly willing
to give up stuff like spot metering. But some people are quite happy at
the lower ISO settings, and don't care about noise at ISO 800 or ISO
1600, because they don't use these settings, and for them the D70 is
just fine.

OTOH, there ARE some digital SLRs, that have so many issues that it is
difficult to figure out why anyone would consider them (and the
plunging prices, and rebates, on some of these models make it clear
that few people are!). I can buy the Olympus E300 for a net cost of
$580, the least expensive D-SLR as far as I can tell, but IMVAIO, it's
a bad deal. The Sigma SD10 body is way overpriced at $1350, costing
more than the Canon 20D with a kit lens!

The D70 and EOS-350D are hands down the best choices in the amateur
market, and most people would be happy with either of them, despite the
minor shortcomings of each.

That said, the comparison was crap, so if there's any bickering it's
mostly due to that.

That's the bottom line. None of these review sites are perfect, but the
one that did this review was terrible.

All review sites reflect the site owners personal prefernces somewhat.
I.e., ever since I bought my first film SLR, and was advised to get the
vertical grip, I find it so useful in portrait mode that I simply
cannot imagine buying an SLR that doesn't support this option
(reviewers always mention the same issue on the D70, and it is a
constant complaint on D70 forums, to the point that someone is coming
out with an after-market grip). But of course I recognize that some
people don't want the weight and expense of a vertical grip, and the
lack of one is a non-issue.

I've begun keeping a list of the relatively unbiased versus relatively
biased evaluation and review sites, it's on my site.

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com