Old December 24th 05, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Is X-Sync speed a "big deal" anymore - now that we have High-speed synch on powerful flash units?

C J Southern wrote:

The only limitation I hit was the 580EX not being able to cycle fast enough
when I fired a burst of shots.

With this in mind, it begs me to ask the question: "Is an X-Sync speed of
"this" or "that" simply irrelivant in this day and age?

High-speed sync works differently from normal flash mode in that the flash
actually becomes "slower" -- it fires multiple pulses instead of a single
flash, and thus is not good for stopping motion -- the exposure time is
actually controlled by the shutter speed, whereas the flash duration is
much shorter in normal mode.

Other disadvantages: the flash may use more battery power and recycle
more slowly, and will give you less total exposure; you can't calculate
flash exposure using flash power (guide number) and aperture any more;
and it will only work with a dedicated electronic flash unit.

Apart from that, there's no reason not to use it. As you discovered,
it does work as advertised. It's just not a "real" flash sync mode.

--
Jeremy |