Old June 16th 04, 05:12 AM
Bill Hilton

Default Insane new TSA rule for film inspection

Apparently, a new TSA regulation went into effect in April that
requires the opening, inspecting and swabbing of EVERY SINGLE ROLL
OF FILM!

It's either that or toss it on the belt and have it x-rayed (yeah, I saw you
use T-Max 3200 ... bummer).

Last week the TSA person spent
20 minutes cracking open every single factory-sealed roll of film in
my insul-pack.

I just open every cannister ahead of time and put all the film in a big clear
baggie and hand it to them, takes a few minutes for them to swab 100 rolls.
Then I put it back in the cannisters and boxes while I'm waiting to board the
plane. Pain in the butt but that's the way it goes these days. My biggest
gripe is that I don't feel comfortable re-freezing this film in case moisture
got in.

Anybody with a brain can tell it's film.

Anybody with a brain could also figure out how to open the cannisters and put
explosives in them too ... that's why they swab.

But in the
final analysis, it may be the TSA guys in the white shirts who finally
convince me it's time to dump the strips and go for the chips.

Yeah, I've pretty much dumped 35 mm entirely, especially since I get better
results with my Canon 1Ds. Another reason to go digital ... I still shoot
medium format film but I'm usually driving to those spots.

Rant over.

We hear you but that's the way it is in the post 9/11 world.

Bill