Old October 14th 03, 05:40 PM
J C

Default Waht is your audience?

On 14 Oct 2003 09:07:34 -0700, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Is it more important that 'other photographers' think highly of one's
work, or one's intended audience (meaning primarily
non-photographers)?

Michael:

Is that a serious question that you cannot answer yourself? Or are you
just trying to get a thread going?

Perhaps you've not heard this story....

A young violinist travels to the master to play for him and have his
work judged.

The master listened and when the young man is done says, "That was
horrible. You'll never amount to anything. You'd better plan a
different career."

The young man drops the violin and becomes an accountant.

Years later he bumps into the master on the street. He goes up to him
and says, "Thank you for helping me not waste my life."

The master is confused. The young man says, "Don't you remember? I
played for you and you told me to stop wasting my time."

To which the master replies, "Oh. That! I say that to every young
artist who comes to play for me. But if you really had the fire of an
artist, you'd have ignored what I said and strove for greatness
anyway."

-- JC