Old March 5th 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default film speed for old films

On 10-03-04 18:24 , Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Sorry, but I have lost the original thread. I was posting about film speed
of pre-WWII films to compare with modern film in a Kodak Brownie camera.

It just so happens that Popular Science has made their archives publicly
availaible and I looked up the December 1941 isssue as that was the last
one before the US entered the war.

The Kodak ad in there was for Verichrome (not Verichrome Pan, which came in
the 1950's) which was ASA 50. It also mentions Super XX (100 daylight, 80
tungsten) for night shots.

In comparison, Kodacolor was ASA 20.

I'm not sure about Kodachrome it was either ASA 8 or 10.

We've come a long way. I remember shooting a lot of Kodachrome in the
early 80's and thinking 25 was a fine speed of film... Since I shoot a
lot from a tripod, it still is, I suppose.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.