Old November 12th 04, 04:59 PM
Aerticus

The moral of the story is:

1 - DON'T EDIT ORIGINAL IMAGES (leave original prime date prime and
unmodified)

2 - only edit or work on copies of the originals (preferably after entring
IPTC data)

3 - store data of prime digital images away from and separate to work in
progress edited copies

4 - well, all above IMHO

Aerticus

"Bruce Lewis" wrote in message
JHoffnagle writes:

I'd also recommend updating/replacing any application that trashes the
EXIF data fields - in the long run you won't regret it.

I think Huffy is right on with that comment.

However, if you have some application that you can't update or still
trashes EXIF information, another step you can take is to rename the
files with the date/time they were taken. This can be done in a batch
with the free jhead program. You can also rotate according to your
orientation sensor with jhead if you've also installed jpegtran.

Download an example of jhead/jpegtran usage from he

http://img.ourdoings.com/windows.html

(I got the impression you were on Windows. If you're on Linux there's a
link from there to the Linux version.)

After you download it, look at the short do.bat file. It shouldn't be
too hard to modify this batch file to do what you want.

--
Make that pile of digital photos presentable: http://ourdoings.com/
It's quicker and easier than you think.