Old March 15th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bruce Patis

Default !External computer monitor as viewfinder

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:59:17 -0700, wrote:

The cute little LCD display on the back of a digital camera is convenient,
but it doesn't allow for careful inspection of picture quality. Are there
any cameras with a jack for connecting a 19" computer monitor to a camera
intended for studio use?

Norm Strong

Most digital cameras have a video output and some even give you the
choice of NTSC or PAL signal format. So, although a video converter,
as previously mentioned, can convert a video signal to a format used
by a computer monitor, the simplest approach is to connect a "video"
monitor to the camera. I've done that myself, especially when I had
to position the camera in an odd location and I couldn't see its
built-in, non-tilting monitor on the back. Of course, neither the
built-in monitor nor an external one will work as a viewfinder if the
camera is an SLR that does not have a live preview feature.

BTW, many TVs (as well as a few computer monitors) have a video input
jack that will work, too. Also, for indoor use, even a large, heavy,
relatively immobile TV is easy to see at a distance. You just need a
long video extension cable connected to the one that came with the
camera. In fact, for a photo of a group of people, if the TV is
located behind the camera, they will often pose better because they
can see themselves as the camera sees them.

Bruce