Old July 8th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Crusader

Default Windows freeware to edit & create EXIF data for JPEG photos

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 17:21:13 -0700, Ray Macey wrote:

On Jul 8, 1:48 am, Crusader wrote:

I'm sure it's probably a good tool, but I will keep looking unless there is
nothing else out there and then I'll go back to Exifer which seems to be
great for createing NEW Exif data but not necessarily for editing EXISTING
Exif data.

As I said in my reply to your first post, try MS photo info. It lets
you append or replace EXIF and IPTC as you prefer

Ray

Hi there Ray,
I generally avoid Microsoft bloatware products at all costs, but since
Exifer replaced but didn't allow an edit to existing Exif data, I guess
since there is no other alternative, I'm installing the Microsoft PhotoInfo
product you recommended right now after (for the umpteenth time) going
through the Windows validation process (why can't they just remember the
previous validation).

I immediately see MS PhotoInfo requires .NET bloatware, so I'll have to
install that in order to run the program. This should be more clearly
stated on the download pages (maybe it is, but I don't remember seeing that
it takes two downloads to get the software up and running).

OK, that was wierd. When I installed MS PhotoInfo, it didn't give me the
option to start it when the installer finished, it didn't put an icon on
the desktop and it didn't put an entry in the start menu. While I applaud
the lack of bloat ... my first response is "where is the program shortcut"?

Luckily I know where I put ALL my programs (c:\software\photo
editors\msphotoinfo) so I could make a shortcut for my menu system to
"PhotoInfo.exe".

When I doubleclicked on C:\software\photo
editors\msphotoinfo\photoinfo.exe, the GUI didn't come up but a warning
came up saying "Photo Info: No supported image files were found in the
current file selection". Huh? I didn't select any files. When I press OK,
the warning goes away, and nothing else happens.

Obviosly the intuitive use model isn't the norm here. Nowhere did the GUI
tell me what to do so I started guessing that I have to select a few image
files first before the MS PhotoInfo program knows what to do. I right
clicked to use the intuitive "Open With" command but then figured that MS
must have put SOMETHING in the menu system. Lo and behold, there was a new
"PhotoInfo" selection way way down in my menus (lot's of crapware installs
things into this right click selection).

In about twice or three times the time it takes for Irfanview to bring up a
picture, MS PhotoInfo had the Exif data available, which isn't too bad.

But then, I was shocked to find that, like Exifer, the proven existing Exif
data was not available in the edit tabs. I scrolled through each tab
(Description, Keywords, Origin, Advanced, Details) and didn't see anything
other than the Description tab had a vastly truncated version of what
Irfanview shows with the "I" information command - yet, like Irfanview, the
existing Exif data was NOT editable.

In the Origin tab, the DATE was available if you hit the box that said "Use
Exif capture date if available" which was good. But, nowhere was there a
button that said "suck in the existing Exif data, dammit".

Did I miss something here?

Other than the Exif creation date, are you SURE that MS PhotoInfo sucks in
existing Exif data to be modified thereafter?

which I just downloaded.