Old September 10th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Olin K. McDaniel[_2_]

Default Preferred Auto-Focus Mode?

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:00:11 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

DudeBoyz wrote:

So, if you would, I'd appreciate replies specifying what is
preferred and why that method is preferred.

Manual. 'Cuz I take my time. And that's a good thing.

Practically, when I do use AF, I find centered is easiest. Point,
focus, lock (half-depressed shutter release) re-compose, shoot.

However, mixing AE modes and the above is tricky. On my cameras that is
usually 'hold AEL' for the exposure lock and hold the shutter
half-depressed for the focus lock. Also why I shoot manual exposure a lot.

This topic is rather broad, since it's not pertinent to a specific
brand of camera. I've used the Nikon D300 a little, but am using my
own Pentax K10D where I find the AF.C (autofocus continuous) is my
choice. When I shoot Hummingbirds at my feeders, I focus on a flower
stalk poked in the feeder of choice, then remove it and wait for a
bird to arrive. I then shoot with a remote button so as NOT to half
press the shutter button and mess up my focus. Now, you might suggest
I should just wait and do a Manual focus. After hundreds of attempts,
I find I'm never able to get as sharp a focus in Manual as the camera
can in the method just described. To clarify - I'm using a Sigma 180
mm Macro lens at a distance of about 5 feet. I've never understood
why the camera can do so much better focusing than can I, but it's got
me convinced. And this is true regardless of whether I use Spot
(Center) or Auto (its choice of 1 of 11 points).

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."