Old October 4th 04, 03:41 AM
Graham Fountain

Default Kodak Gold 100 vs Kodak Bright Sun vs Kodak High Definition Colour Film

Normally the only kodak colour film that I see in shops here is "Kodak
Bright Sun 100" or "Kodak High Definition" film. I have used these common
Kodak films and hated them - horrible colours, horrible grain. I normally
use Fuji Superia 100 (occassionally 400) for my everyday shooting, as I
liked it's colours and it has a nice fine grain.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was in a small town and needed some film -
the only shop in town was a kodak only shop, no fuji stuff at all, and they
had these usual kodak films, but also had some very cheap rolls of "Kodak
Gold 100". This film doesn't have the usual cardboard covering, just a
plastic film canister. The 35mm cartridge on some of them was a bit
scratched etc, so I was suspect it was old stock. But it was very cheap, so
I grabbed a couple of rolls (along with a few rolls of their slide film
since I hate their normal consumer films so much). Well what can I say but
it blew me away - gorgeous colours, fine grain, good detail in shadows and
highlights - far nicer than any consumer grade film that I have ever tried.
I have searched for it on Kodak's website (suspecting maybe it was a pro
film) and haven't found anything. I have since asked other retailers about
it and they give dumb looks. This morning I was passing through the town
again and they still had some so I grabbed several rolls - I asked the lady
behind the counter about it, and she didn't know how it fitted in the range,
she just knew it was cheap and that it was a limited special buy they got.

Does anyone know how this film fits into Kodak's range? is it discontinued?

--
Australia: Love it, or leave it!