Old May 25th 04, 04:04 PM

Default Recommendation for a Canon lens

I have a question for those of you that are very serious about
wildlife photography.

I currently own all Canon equipment and have recently started making
the move toward digital. My longest lens is the Canon 100-400 IS USM.
I am looking at purchasing a longer lens and am torn between the Canon
500mm f/4.0L IS USM and the Canon 600mm f/4,0L IS USM lenses. The cost
difference between the lenses on B&H's website is about $1,700.00.

I enjoy shooting wildlife photographs of small and large mammals as
well as birds. Can someone please make a recommendation on which lens
would be better for the type of photographs I would like to take?

The weight of the lens is not an issue for me as I rarely hike or
backpack to remote locations when photographing wildlife. I'm just not
sure which lens would be the best choice for wildlife photography and
would like some recommendations before spending such a large sum of
money on a lens.

Thank you,
Chuck