Old January 17th 19, 09:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Tips for Mastering In-Camera,Double Exposure Portraits

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 19:24:01 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Double exposure in film, I can understand.

But a digital camera would just add the pixel values from two files,
thus being no different from postprocessing on the computer.

To be valid, the sensor would have to be exposed, and then, without
reading it, exposing it again. Are they really doing it?

Nikon, Canon, and Fujifilm (and probably others) have a multi-exposure
feature/mode which allows for two separate exposures, on two frames,
which
are blended into a single file. It is a bit of a novelty and nothing
that
cannot be done in post.

Ok, so they do two frames, then merge or blend them into a single file.
That's postprocessing, not really "double exposure" in my book. It
simply emulates it, but it is not it.

are you channeling eric?

He is being precise. You are not.

nope. he's trying to come up with a distinction when there isn't one.

two clicks. one photo. double exposure.

one uses chemicals and the other uses electronics.

One makes two separate images to create a third. The other makes a
single image in two stages.

Eric Stevens