Old January 5th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default picasaweb vs google photos

On Jan 4, 2019, sobriquet wrote
(in ):

Hi.

In the past I've used picasaweb and what I liked about it was
that when I was sharing an album of pictures, people could easily
click on a link to get to an overview of all albums shared by me.

I wonder why this is no longer seems possible with google
photos. I can share a particular album via a link, but then
the person receiving this link doesn't seem to have any way to
get to an overview of all albums I'm sharing on google photos.
It feels like google is imposing some unreasonable restrictions
on my freedom to share pictures.
Sure, some people might prefer it if they can share an album
without giving people access to all the pictures or all the
albums they share, but why is this not an option so people
get to pick what suits their preferences?

Google photos offers a lot of free space (especially considering
that flickr recently dramatically downgraded their free photo
sharing space from 1 TB to something like 1000 pictures), but
it seems to be kind of useless for photosharing if you can't
even do something basic like providing an overview of shared
albums via a link (like it used to be possible via picasa
webalbums).

The free Flickr option of 1000 images is reasonable, particularly for most
non-pro photographers. You can still share individual images and albums. You
just can’t accumulate a massive library of images, and expect them to host
a collection in excess of 1000 images for nothing. After all, just how long
do you anticipate storing you images for sharing without culling down below
the 100 image limit?

There are costs that they are not compelled to absorb, just because you
don’t like the idea of paying for anything. So my suggestion, is reconsider
a limited (1000 image) free Flickr account, and work within the limitations
to share images and/or galleries/albums.

Savageduck