Old October 14th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Default film scanners

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:17:41 -0700 (PDT), Lew
wrote:

... so getting back to my question, do you feel that any impediment is
introduced by scanning through the PrintFile material?

October 14, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

Yes, there is a definite reduction in quality
of the scan. It would never do for real
digital work, such as printing large, high
quality prints on an inkjet.

For my purposes, the degradation in image
quality due to the neg sleeves is minimal and
no problem to live with. Even if Newton's
rings appear due to the plastic sleeve, I
don't really care. The all-important factor
for me is the ability to judge the facial
expression of my subject, and the body
language to a lesser extent. Next is the
ability to change the size of the image
on-screen, and the ability to play with
cropping and general composition before I go
to the darkroom. Newton's rings are no
impediment to any of this, and they don't
even appear very often. Basically, the
scanner is way more competent than I need,
but I'm happy to have it.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________
--

October 11, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

Well, call it a darkroom adjunct. I never
create paper contact sheets any more.

My scanner usage would not interest anyone in
a scanner newsgroup. It doesn't even interest
me very much. I'm only interested in making
my darkroom activity more pleasant, and the
scanner does help in this regard.

regards,
--le