Old December 6th 04, 07:02 PM
Jim Phelps

"jjs" wrote in message
"Jim Phelps" wrote in message

If the public does not decide what is art or what isn't, then who does?
I sincerely hope you will not suggest some Government body or MS!

I wrote to answer that. Read it.

Missed it. Sorry, I thought the post was over with the short line.

Then, if a curator exhibits Ansel Adams' photos in his art museum, and
subsequently the exhibit travels to other art museums, then this would be a
strong suggestion the art establishment has accepted photos to be artistic?
If so, this has happened many times over with many different 'artists'.
IMHO this would be an indication that photography can, as a medium, be an
art form and has been accepted by the art establishment as a form of art.
Not to say every photo is a work of art just like every
painting/sculpture/"add your favorite genre here" is not as well. And
that's what I've been saying all along.

The same argument applies to critics and historians. Quite possibly
scholars as well, I just cannot cite an example of one.

If I'm wrong, please educate me. I am trying to learn the truth (and not
according to the casual isotope).