Old October 10th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 21:32:20 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 10/9/2018 2:41 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Whether or not this is an issue depends on what users do with their
computers. If they're playing around with beta releases, as in the
Insider Development program, it's not a good idea to use a computer
with critical files on it. As for the rest who use Win10, the
update has not been distributed, so it's a non-issue.

wrong. 1809 was released last week to the public then later pulled on
friday after people lost data. it was not an insider build.

It was not "distributed". It was available for "optional" download
only.

I got it automatically on a laptop of mine.

yep. same here (although not a laptop).

I did not get the update on my Win10 machine. Possible that had
something to do with the fact that I have automatic updates turned off.

I have 3 Win 10 machines, and they all avoided this. Of course, one of
my PC's hasn't updated versions for the last 18 months because of some
weird issue, so there was no risk with that one....

And it really looks like it's just a few unlucky people who lost files
anyway.