Old August 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Philippe

Default Newbie needs tips on taking good nightshots

bugbear wrote:
Randy Berbaum wrote:

Unfortunately most P&S type cameras are very poor at night shots. This
is why many of us who like to occasionally "play in the dark" tend
towards DSLRs. The more manual control you have the more options. For
example an SLR set to bulb, set to the smallest f-stop (most open),
manually focused, on a solid tripod, with a shutter speed of 30 or 40
seconds can capture some images that are just not possible in any
other way.

Agreed. And yet... someone I know took this:

http://mikebeauchamp.com/dump/windmill1comp%20copy.jpg

Canon A510, tripod, 100 stacked images...

http://mikebeauchamp.com/images/show...go-2006&pic=20

BugBear

yeah.. I like night stuff, and my Canon G2 gives me up to 15 sec
exposures so that's more than I currently need. (I'm *also* making sure
I can *fully justify* not upgrading to a SLR, as you can see.. I just
can't afford one. :P )

P.

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)