Old March 8th 05, 02:17 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article , adm wrote:

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
link.net...

[ ... ]

The lack of mirror lock-up is just decontenting. They do lock up the
mirror for sensor cleaning, so the capability is there.

True. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a firmware hack for this
though...

Well ... remember that when sensor cleaning, they recommend
operating it from the AC power adaptor, which suggests that holding the
mirror up drains the battery rather quickly. This seems to me to be
adequate reason to not put it in the firmware -- either as an original
feature, or as an aftermarket "hack".

I suspect that the mirror is being held up by battery power full
time while it is up, and that to provide a reasonable mirror lock-up
feature, they would need to add hardware -- one solenoid to lift the
mirror (and let it latch), and another to release it once it is time to
do so.

At that time, they could also add a mirror up, delay, expose,
and mirror release features for extreme telephoto or for
astro-photography.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564