Old October 23rd 14, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

Default Processing

On 2014-10-20, philoÂ* wrote:
Since there are quite a few her who devote time to processing and I
generally do not, I thought I might as well post one of the rare images
that I did subject to considerable alteration:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...12762295_o.jpg

NOTE: Before this was printed, the orientation was corrected and it was
cropped right at the fence line. (Each time it's printed I vary it
slightly.) The print is about 20" x 30" and in shows always grabs a lot
of attention. I don't think the original would have been more than
glanced at.

The original was in color and of not much interest.
This one was done in GIMP and is close to the old darkroom technique of
solarization.

Filters
Edge detect
Edge

A five second editing job.

I can't comment on the actual print, as I haven't seen it and probably
never will. From the jpeg viewed on my laptop, I can say that the image
has artistic potential. (In my opinion, at least).

Consider whether or not you want the small flashes of colour, and how
noticeable you want them to be, and try getting some subtle tonal
variation in the dark areas. If it were mine, I'd experiment with tonal
'fades' and even reversing the tones in one area compared with another.
Play with introduced colour too; black-with-a-hint-of-something instead
of pure black, perhaps?

Combining that image with paint or ink or some other medium could be
fun.

--
-- Whiskers