Old October 21st 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Processing

On 2014-10-21 21:06:37 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:21:09 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:59:03 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-10-20 21:56:27 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:37:12 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-10-20 16:26:07 +0000, philo said:

Though I still prefer my own treatment...I do like your version better
than that of Peter N.

Though what he did was fine, I think your version is more dramatic.

Just keep in mind there is always more than one way to deal with an
image in post, and the familiar (your version) will always seem more
appealing to you. Consider that Peter and I only had your post processed
version to work with, not the original, so anything we did to your image
was constrained by your work.

Yep. Understood. I never posted the original anywhere as it was just
too mundane.

I have been trying to get my stuff organized and it would take me a
while to find it.

My point is, sometimes post processing is unavoidable if you want to
emphasize characteristics of the image you have captured. This was true
for you in that image, and it is true for others who use PP more
extensively, but avoiding it totally is not a good philosophy to hold.
This is another scene out on Carrizo Plain. Which of these two versions
best shows the bleak, desolate, wind blown landscape?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_979.jpg

I would be tempted to try one over the other as an overlay and play
with the layer transparencies.

Something along these lines?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_980.jpg

Yep, The monochrome version with just a hint of the original color:
maybe just a tich more than you have used. Rather like this one (where
if you look carefully you can just see where I have used a mask to
keep the skin colour on the faces).

Oops! Rather like *this* one ....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC6466.jpg

If we are going to iron work for examples, here is one to ponder. Geo
tagged if you are interested.
https://db.tt/X2vuYDG1

Savageduck