Old August 1st 18, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

Default 35mm slide and negative scanning - UK?

On 01/08/18 00:08, wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:33:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

it's nowhere near as good as a dedicated negative/slide scanner.

I know that, and of course I fully agree.

The thing is, I don't think he has yet fully assessed the sheer amount
of work involved in making worthwhile scans from negatives.

Oh I have - I've done it before with a Nikon Coolscan III a long loing
time ago.

It is time consuming... But OTOH sending slides away is risky (loss) and
costs are looking like around 48p per slide for a RAW scan (which means
I can fiddle with them in Lightroom and perhaps have a bit more to work
with).

I don;t have many slides - maybe a few hundred - but I have a bugger of
a lot of negatives.

As those of us who have done it will know, the amount of work involved
in such a project is enormous. I suspect he is still at the
optimistic "this will be relatively simple and straightforward"
stage...

Not really... If I can afford to get a reasonable paid scan done, it's
obviously the way to go. If it's going to cost a thousand quid, then
clearly it's better to buy a decent 2nd hand Nikon (the Coolscan IV ED I
mentioned should be "good enough" for this job) and plod through them -
say one filmset each weekend.

Eventually the job gets done and I do get to choose what I do first in
which order.

We're usually talking years here.