Old June 10th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Best cutter for Film

On 6/10/2009 6:09 AM spake thus:

On Jun 9, 1:59 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Based on my experience cutting various things, I'd say the standard
paper cutter would be the best. (Not a guillotine, which would consist
of a vertical-moving blade; only big paper cutters, like the ones
printers use, have that.) Results in the least handling and potential
scratching of the film stock.

When I wrote "guillotine" I realized that was not the correct term.
What I used to cut 8x10 down to mostly 4x5 some 5x7 in my past life
was a large very good paper cutter.

What you used was what I referred to as a "standard paper cutter".
They're relatively cheap and easily gotten.

For cutting in the dark, you can attach stops (strips of cardboard) to
the baseboard with tape. When I've done this I wear a pair of cotton
gloves to avoid fingerprinting the film.